Period covered by this Operations Update: 1 December 2012 to 17 January 2013.
Appeal target (current): CHF 1,042,363
Appeal coverage: 73 percent
· This Emergency Appeal was initially launched on 7 June 2012 for CHF 2,537,138 to support the Mali Red Cross to assist 142,740 beneficiaries (21,960 households) until end February, 2013.
· Disaster Relief Emergency Fund (DREF) CHF 258,538 was allocated on 5 June 2012 to support the National Society begin the operation.
· The Emergency Appeal was revised on 18 October 2012. The budget was reduced to CHF 1,042,363 to assist 58,500 beneficiaries (9,000 households).
· A 6 month summary update of the operation was issued on 14 January, 2013 to summarize progress in the first 6 months.
· This Operation update announces a 1 month extension to the operation timeframe in order to complete the community garden activities. The operation will now be completed by the end of March 2013 and a Final Report will be made available by end of May 2013 (timeframe for the final report remains unchanged).
Mali has been facing many crises since 2011 and during 2012 experienced a country-wide drought and food insecurity; armed rebellions in the north and a military coup d’état in March 2012.On 11 January 2013, François Hollande, the President of France announced that he had agreed to a request from the Mali government for foreign aid and that "French forces have provided support to Mali". During the past week an armed conflict led by the Malian army with support from the French army begun with probable further deployment of military contingency troops from the Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS) to regain the north from the various armed rebels.
Except for this recent armed conflict that started on 11 January 2013, there are no operational changes since the launch of the 6 month summary update of 14 January, 2013.